Thursday 9 August 2012

Illustrated Children's Book Wish List


Story Wish List
1. Oh No George!- Chris Haughton
2. Iggy Peck Architect- Andrea Beaty
3. The Book With A Hole- Herve Tullet
4. Color- Alexander Girard
5. I Know A Lot Of Things- Ann Rand
6. Good Little Wolf- Nadia Shireen
7. How To Catch A Star- Oliver Jeffers
8. The High Street- Alive Melvin
9. ABC- Bruno Munari
10. When I Was Born- Isabel Minhos Martins
11. I Want My Hat Back- Jon Klassen
12. Henry's Walk To Paris- Saul Bass
13. Spot It!- Delphine Chedru
14. Sparkle And Spin- Ann Rand
15. The Game Of Mix And Match- Herve Tullet
16. Little Master Carroll: Alice In Wonderland- Jennifer Adams
17. The Heart And The Bottle- Oliver Jeffers
18. Little 1- Ann Rand
19. The Runaway Dinner- Allan Ahlberg
20. A Bit Lost- Chris Haughton

Noah is finally of an age where he can sit still for a few seconds long enough for me to read him a story (as long as I read at record pace) whilst he turns the pages very quickly. At first all he wanted to do was gnaw his teeth along his board books and any attempt to read him a story was greeted with fury that I wouldn't let him sit there contently ripping the pages out, scrunching them into little balls and then trying to eat them. So far the only main casualties has been his pop-up Spot book which I've managed to mend with plenty of cellotape (Spot's Mum was missing her head for a while).

Here is a selection of amazing illustrated books I want to add to his library collection this Christmas. They are like small works of art and inside are some really amazing illustrations and colours that will definitely ignite the imagination of both children and parents alike. I was a huge book worm when I was younger, I'm hoping Noah follows in those footsteps and loves reading as much as I did as a child.

Another important thing in children's literature is the moral lesson behind the book. It was quite insightful going through some of my old books as there were quite a LOT that were based on feminism, equality, being the princess that sword fights, battles giants and saves the prince sort of thing. I had a quick look on Amazon for some morally insightful literature for Noah, came across 'Wish My Daddy Didn't Drink So Much' 'The House That Crack Built' and 'My Sister Does Drugs.' Not quiiiite what I had in mind!!! That's some pretty heavy reading for children don't you think?! Reminded me of this funny article I came across based on French children's books with some extremely scary story lines and illustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment